Saturday, February 13, 2010

Talking Points 1

Amazing Grace
by: Jonathan Kozol

1.) “As confident and grown-up as he sounds, he has the round face of a baby and is scarcely more than three and a half feet tall” (Pg.8).
~This quote was talking about Cliffie. Sometimes I think you forget Cliffie is just a child because he has been through so much in his life. I found myself sometimes thinking he was older. It is sad how most kids who live in these grow up so fast.

2.) "I believe that we were put here for a purpose, but these people in the streets can't see a purpose. There's a whole world out there if you know it's there, if you can see it. But they're in a cage. They cannot see”(Pg.24).
~ Everyone in the world does have a purpose. The people who can’t see it are the people who are on drugs or committing crimes. They believe that the only why they can succeed is by committing crimes. I believe that if the people that don’t see the purpose moved some where else they might end up finding their purpose. I also know that money is tight and it would be hard to move. It is a shame that some people can’t see their purpose in life.

3.) "Heroin's making a comeback in our neighborhood. There's something different in it from before, so it's stronger and, I guess, more lethal. He tells me one of the street names for the drug is "DOA"-dead on arrival” ( Pg.24).
~ It is sad how in this neighborhood that most people do drugs and die from them. The street name for Heroin says it all once you try it you most likely are going to get addicted and die from it.

I really enjoyed reading this piece. The stories kept my attention and I couldn’t stop reading it. The stories were very sad and I felt bad for all the people that were in these stories. When Cliffie was talking all about his neighborhood I really felt bad for him and his family. I don’t think it is right that it might be hard for Cliffie to go to college because of money or something else because he is a very smart kid. I like how Cliffie always stayed positive I think that his religion was one of the reason for him to stay positive. I like how St. Ann Church was a sanctuary to the children when they got out of school. Overall I enjoyed this piece so much. The part when Kozol talked about the city not listing to the people who need welfare or assistance reminded me when Delpit talks about how the teachers of color where not being heard by the white teachers. I would like to know when the children of these neighborhoods grow up what do they do. Like how many children go to college, get jobs, sell drugs.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Amanda,
    i totally agree with your first quote. As Cliffie is walking through the neighborhood, he sounds like an adult; when in actuality he is a young child. it is sad that at such a young age, he has seen so many horrible things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda,
    Your first quote is so very true. I found myself thinking the same thing and even having the think back to who the speaker is. He seems way to young to be talking and acting the way he does. Also, for him to be going through the things he does I'm shocked he is the way he is. I guess kids like Cliffie have to grow up quickly in order to survive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amanda,
    Like the others, I agree with your first quote. The whole experience with Cliffie really showed us a lot. On the outside Cliffie acts like a regular kid, he likes cookies, likes to show off what he knows, but on the inside he's almost damaged. That poor kid saw more than any adult or child should ever see when he witnessed that child being shot. Nevermind the hunger, poverty, poor education, and other crimes he has seen, and will see. Children shouldn't have to worry about these sorts of things. I can't imagine how he can focus on school work and just playing and being a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you that you almost forget Cliffie is only seven years old when you are reading the story, the fact that he kept offering a cookie was what kept reminding me of his age.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading this piece as you did and relating to stories more than the other readings, even though they were so sad you felt for the individuals more. This reading brought more feeling to the Johnson and Delpit readings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you talked about Cliffe going to college it made me wonder why so few children from these areas do not go to college. Considering that they are so poor, I would imagine they would get a full ride. Considering that no body works, it seems that time would not be an issue either. Just a question....

    ReplyDelete