Sunday, March 21, 2010

Talking Points 5

In The Service Of What?
The Politics of Service Learning


By: Joseph Kahne and Joel Westheimer


1.) “Relationships that emphasize charity we will call "giving." Those that aim primarily to deepen relationships and to forge new connections we will call "caring." (p.5)
~This quote tells you the two different sides of service learning the caring and the giving side. I believe that you need and equal part of both to have a good service learning experience. You need to help and learn about who you are helping.

2.) “By engaging in meaningful service--whether tutoring children for whom English is a second language, helping patients in a hospital, doing difficult chores for the elderly, or supervising younger children's recreational activities--students will have opportunities to experience what David Hornbeck, former Maryland state superintendent. referred to as "the joy of reaching out to others."
~I really liked this quote because it reminds me of when I go to my school for my service learning project. I am teaching a ten year old girl from Africa basic skills like reading and teaching her how to speak English. Every Friday when I leave I feel happy that I am helping some and I also feel more confident every time I go. I do feel “the joy of reaching out to others”.

3.) These curriculum theorists and education reformers wanted students to engage in service learning projects so that they would recognize that their academic abilities and collective commitments could help them respond in meaningful ways to a variety of social concerns.'
~Students should be aware of what is happening in their communities and I think having a service learning project helps students be aware of their communities. I know with my service learning project give me a better understanding of what the problems are with classrooms and how you can fix them.


I thought this article was interesting especially since I am doing a service learning project. Going to my school each week I feel so rewarded that I can teach someone the skills they will need to know to survive. Every time I go I feel more and more like a teacher. I am happy to say that VIPS program has had a positive impact on my life. Now I am positive that I want to be an elementary school teacher. I believe that it will be such a rewarding job. Getting back to the article I liked how it told you the difference between a “giving” service learning and a “caring” service learning. I thought this article had some good points and really made me think more about service learning projects.

1 comment:

  1. Amanda, I agree with you when you say that the VIPS program is rewarding and is lots of fun. It's one of the kind of volunteering I think.

    ReplyDelete