Saturday, April 3, 2010

Talking Points 7

Gender and Education


For this blog I thought it was a little difficult. I found it hard to find good information about gender equality in education.
One website I found talked about a New York Times magazine article. The article was about segregating boys and girls in public school classrooms. I think this would be a step backwards because it is saying that if you are different you can just be separated and everything will be just fine. In a lesser extent this reminds me of racial segregation. I know that there are some advantages to this idea I just can’t see it in public schools. The site says that one reason for doing this is that boys and girls learn differently. I don’t find this very accurate because I believe that everyone learns differently not just boys and girls. What if the way you are teaching only the girls doesn't work for some of the girls then what do you do. You would probably show them a different way to do the problem. So way not instead of segregating boys and girls in schools we have different ways to teach each student. I think this would be a more effective plan. A quote that I thought was interesting on this site was “Boys are nearly twice as likely as girls to be suspended; more likely to drop out of high school; boys makeup 2/3 of special education students; and are 2.5 times more likely to be diagnosed with ADHD.”



  • Another website I found had an article called Gender Equality in Education: is it possible? I thought this was a good article, it talked about the reasons why gender equality was at a halt.


  • I also found a site that had a Q&A sex discrimination in education and gender discrimination overview. It talked about Title IX, which to be honest I didn't know about until I read this article. “ Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from discrimination based on sex in education programs or activities which receive federal financial assistance. Title IX states that: No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.”


This video tells about gender discrimination in schools. I thought it was it was short and to the point.


Gender Discrimination in Schools -- powered by eHow.com

This video was also about gender discrimination and I thought it was also very interesting.





1 comment:

  1. I was surprised to hear the teacher talking like that, in the 'Girls vs. Boys Gender Discrimination' video. I can't believe the teacher addressed her class about the issue concerning the little boy; she made the wrong choice as a teacher by doing that. I think she should have made appointment to speak the parents if she was so frustrated with him.

    ReplyDelete