Sunday, April 11, 2010

Talking Points 8

"Social Class and the Hidden Curriculum of Schooling"
By: Anyon


1.) “It will be suggested that there is a "hidden curriculum" in schoolwork that has profound implications for the theory - and consequence - of everyday activity in education.... “
~This reminded me of the hidden education in children’s books and movies that Christensen talked about. I thought this was an interesting idea.

2.) “In math, when two-digit division was introduced, the teacher in one school gave a four-minute lecture on what the terms are called (which number is the divisor, dividend, quotient, and remainder). The children were told to copy these names in their notebooks. Then the teacher told them the steps to follow to do the problems, saying, "This is how you do them." The teacher listed the steps on the board, and they appeared several days later as a chart hung in the middle of the front wall: "Divide, Multiply, Subtract, Bring Down." The children often did examples of two-digit division.”
~I think that only giving a four minute lecture on the terms is wrong how is a student going to understand the material if they don’t understand the terms. I think being a teacher you need to have all different kinds of methods for teaching. You can’t tell a student there is only one way to do a problem.

3.) “In both working-class schools, work in language arts is mechanics of punctuation (commas, periods, question marks, exclamation points), capitalization, and the four kinds of sentences. One teacher explained to me, "Simple punctuation is all they'll ever use." Regarding punctuation, either a teacher or a ditto stated the rules for where, for example, to put commas.”
~I was kind of shocked that a teacher would say that all the students will ever use is simple punctuation. What does she think that these kids will not need the other information she doesn’t know what these kids will become in the future.


I thought this article was a good read. I found the study that was done in this article interesting. I liked how you can really see the difference in each school in the way the kids are taught. I also liked how there were examples of every point Anyon made. The difference in the different schools didn’t really surprise me. There were something in each school that did surprise me like when one teacher told a girl that she was wrong for thinking there was a different way in making the grid they were doing. I think if a student thinks of a different way of doing an activity you should let them share it with the class because it might be a way some other students in the class learn the activity. I defiantly could see the differences in each different school. I don’t think it is right that the children’s schoolings depends on how much money their parents have and where they live.

6 comments:

  1. I also liked this article. The studies were valid and also very relevant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i liked reading this article too and i also liked your third quote because i found it shocking too that a teacher would say something like that as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also found your third quote shocking, its really disheartening that there are teachers out there like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too think it is upsetting that a communities general welfare determine what kind of learning your child will experience. Also I'd have to agree that teachers should allow students to be creative with their learning processes, maybe some students would understand their method opposed to the teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am shocked at the things that some of these teachers say as well. It is completely ridiculous some of the things that these teachers say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought the same thing about the first quote with the 'hidden curriculum'. There's hidden meaning in everything, it's making me paranoid! just kidding
    Also, the quote was part of the whole mess of terrible things these teachers said (like 'shut up'). I don't know if it was the decade (the 1970s) or just the area where these teachers taught, but I could never imagine speaking like that to any child, let alone a student who I'm trying to motivate. I had a teacher who was frequently fresh to me in the 4th grade. My mom had a meeting with her, she said she wasn't going to stop, so my mom pulled me out of the school. I would hope any parent (or colleague!) would stand up to a teacher who belittles a child.

    ReplyDelete